Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"The only way to make sense out of it, is to jump in head first."

 I used to be a "leap without looking" kind of girl, always landing on my feet but possibly fracturing my shin when I landed.  Getting the "thrill" of adrenaline; but not liking the outcome when I had not planned what to do once I had gotten there...or where ever I thought "there" was. One day my father told me that while it was "admirable that I was fearless I should be like a professional swimmer...and pause and take the time to concentrate before I dived in". 

I had a job that summer at a Restoration Hardware (incidentally it closed that summer I swear I had nothing to do with it) and in that shop there was a picture of a woman posed on a diving board.  She was looking at the water, and contemplating her "perfect dive" but she was not jumping...she was just ready.  I stared at that picture everyday at work, ringing up customers; contemplating my next twist or turn in life and reminding myself it was okay to think before I leaped because I knew there was water in the pool.  This was a different take on a concept of faith for me...it made me think, and question a bit more; and I have liked where it has led me.

Many people are like this boy on the right of us scared to death to even dive in...what if they belly flop or land on their head?  Even worse what if they do it in front of friends or complete strangers?  Fear can be immobilizing making us not leap into the air when we know we have to because if we do not, others cannot leap (a line forms behind us) and there is no other way to get to the other side of the pool which is necessary if we are to progress.  I cannot talk you through your fears in life, I can try but you will either listen or you will not.  I cannot make you stop and contemplate diving in and how you want to dive, but I can make you think for just a second. 

Here is my second....DO IT AFRAID!  That is right, when you are afraid of something or feel yourself resisting and you know it is your turn to make a leap you have a right to be scared, it is normal to be afraid; but it is not okay to not leap.  Did you know that scientists can prove that the same part of your brain that says you are "excited" (as in anticipation you want to do a bootie shake excited) is also the same part that tells you "OH no I am scared"?  Thus, your brain labeled something, and you have a choice to either say..."I am not afraid just excited" or "No human likes the unknown but life is an adventure" or "I have a plan, and if don't work out....so what I belly flop."  You do realize you CANNOT fail in life, only learn ways of doing things and approaching things that really do not work for you right?

I am not telling you to ignore running when you are in a dark parking lot and your gut says that guy with his hand in his coat has a gun.  I am not saying there are no "right" or "wrong" code of conduct in the universe (I am pretty sure we can compare all the religions and find common themes of rules that is the purpose of comparative religion).  I am saying When you feel your back is against the wall, and you have to leap...KNOW that the universe and your God/Goddess(s) will not have placed you there if they did not know you could leap and land just fine.


Children, are wonderful examples to us of how you take a "leap of faith" or "just dive into" a new chapter of life.  Look how this girl with no real analytical thinking closes her eyes and just goes for it!  How beautiful and natural that is, she has not been told to "be careful" or that she might "make a complete fool of herself" or that her "friends might laugh" or that she "could lose everything or die".  Sometimes adults do and say to other adults the silliest things that we have "picked up" and "mean well" but do not truly encourage our sojourners on this journey.  It is great to be cautious, and wonderful to try and plan...but do you know that Magic truly happens when you do what is necessary and just "dive right in" ?

So just for this week, when you feel fear or apprehension or anxiety rising in you remember you "label" those emotions it is not the other way around.  Tell yourself "I can do this"  and if afraid go..."I may be afraid but I will do this afraid and then I will not be afraid anymore."  After all what is the worst thing that could happen?  


When we are afraid we ought not to occupy ourselves with endeavoring to prove that there is no danger, but in strengthening ourselves to go on in spite of the danger.  ~Mark Rutherford

 

Thank you for the gift of your time!~

1 comment:

  1. I'm not great with words but this was absolutely inspiring. KA

    ReplyDelete